History of the enslaved at Oxmoor Farm


  • ca. 1783 – Alexander Scott Bullitt migrates from Virginia to the Louisville area. He first settles in the Shelby County area at Squire Boone’s Station but moves further into the Louisville area to A’Sturgus Station by 1785.
  • William Christian and his wife Annie Henry Christian arrives at his Beargrass Land in the summer of 1785 where there are already a handful of people living close to his spring. They had sent slaves ahead of them and slaves also accompanied them on their journey.
  • 1786 – February – Alexander Scott Bullitt marries Priscilla Christian (niece of Patrick Henry)
  • 1786 – April 13 – William Christian is killed by Native Americans. Bullitt is one of his executors and oversees his estate which includes the maintenance and hiring out of Christian’s slaves
  • 1787 – Alexander Scott Bullitt acquires the Oxmoor land. In a recollection written by Bullitt’s grandson Henry M. Bullitt, Henry states that “Uncle Big Bill” came to Oxmoor with Alexander and said that Alexander watched for Indians while he (Uncle Bill) worked.
  • 1788 – May 13 – Alexander buys a slave named Roger from John Campbell for 100 pounds.
  • 1789 – June 11 – Elizabeth Scott (Alexander’s cousin?) sells him 7 slaves, Noah, John, Lissie (?), Nancy, Cyrus, Ann, and Charlotte
  • 1790 – Annie Henry Christian dies
  • 1791 – First dwelling completed at Oxmoor. A 6 room frame house that now comprises the back center portion of the house. From the family papers we know one “negro” man named Jesse worked on the building of the house.
  • 1808- Alexander signs an agreement with William Haywood to manage Bullitt’s plantation (Oxmoor). Part of the agreement was that Haywood would have the use of a boy called Adam to attend his family.
  • 1810 – June 4 – Bill of sale for a slave named Letty from Caleb and Major Noel to Alexander S. Bullitt.
  • 1810 – June 12 – Bill of sale for a family of slaves, Ake, and his wife Lidia and her four children named ( ), Annie (or Amie), Aggy and Frank from Tartleton Goolsby to Alexander Scott Bullitt.
  • 1811 – Hiring out contract for 8 slaves to the Tarascon Rope Walk. The slaves named were James, Charles, Daniel, Stephen, Jerry, Bill, Simon and Lucinda (wife of Daniel).
  • 1816 – Alexander Scott Bullitt dies leaving Oxmoor to his son William. His inventory lists all the slaves he owned at his death, approximately 101. Among them is Hope valued at $500.
  • 1819 – William marries Mildred Fry. Mildred brings her personal servant Louisa (Or Louisiana) with her to Oxmoor. According to a family letter Louisa was born on July 4, 1805.
  • 1822 – Runaway slave broadside advertising for the return of Bullitt’s slave Hope. Hope never was found.
  • 1826 – Ice house, kitchen and laundry, and smokehouse constructed to the west of the house
  • 1826 – In a ledger kept by William Bullitt there is a receipt from Dr. Galt for dressing a cut on Louisa’s finger and surgery and dressing Frank’s finger.
  • 1829 – William C. Bullitt adds the brick addition to the front of the house with a passageway connecting it to the 1791 structure
  • 1829 – Dec. 8 – Receipt from James Hattan (?) to William Bullitt “to pave his negro house and paint the same.” (first mention of slave dwelling at Oxmoor during William C. Bullitt’s tenure)
  • ca. 1830 – in a receipt from Nathan Sackett for the building of the brick addition to the front of the house he also mentioned that he did $11.75 worth of work to the new Negro house at Oxmoor.
  • 1830 – June 18 – Runaway ad for Annie (or Amie) who was listed as the daughter of Akie and wife of Edmund belonging to William Pope. This is the same Amie who was bought in 1810 from Tarleton Goolsby. Also listed in the document is Amie’s age (25) and said to be “above the order of ordinary size particularly in height. Another Slave named Lucinda is also mentioned in this ad, listed as 18 years old.
  • 1840 – Hemp barn constructed northwest of the main house; mostly likely the “new” or slave kitchen was constructed at this time as well, just east of the main house
  • 1842 – Brick slave cabins built. (those still on the property)
  • 1850 – Overseers house built just east of the slave kitchen
  • 1858 – stone slave cabin built
  • 1858 – William C. Bullitt buys the “Cottonwood” property located on the Ohio River in Union/Henderson counties and moves several of his slaves to that location.
  • 1862 – Oxmoor closed and family moves into Louisville
  • 1877 – William C. Bullitt dies and Oxmoor is split between his 6 children. In his will he leaves an annuity for former slaves Frank and Caroline.
  • 1906 – William Marshall Bullitt begins reassembling the Oxmoor farm
  • 1910-1911 – Marian Coffin designs garden at Oxmoor
  • 1913 – Marshall Bullitt marries Nora Iasigi
  • 1915 – Service wing added to the west side of the house.
  • 1925-1928 – 2nd floor added to the 1829 portion of the house and library wing constructed.
  • 1957 – William Marshall Bullitt dies
  • 1976 – Nora Bullitt dies
  • 1976 – Tommy Bullitt inherits Oxmoor and begins developing parts of the land.
  • 1991 – Tommy Bullitt granted 79 acres of the land which included the house and all the outbuildings to the Kentucky Heritage Council to be maintained as a preservation easement ensuring the perpetuity of Oxmoor.

Printable Document